Dhokla is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and split chickpeas.
Khaman is a similar gram flour-based food. Whereas dhokla is made with rice and chickpeas, khaman is made from chickpeas only. It is generally lighter in color and softer than dhokla, to make dhokla small proportion of baking soda is added while in khaman more baking soda is added to make it more fluffy spongy and porous.
Although a Gujarati snack, it has become increasingly popular across India, as well as in other regions with a sizeable Gujarati community.
This is my innovation into traditional khaman dhokla, where there are super delicious layers of green and red chutneys and which make it looks like SANDWICH! Very quick and easy! Good option for breakfast, snacks or side dish! Kids would really love this healthy ‘Sandwich Dhokla’ in their lunchbox!
Preparation time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 22 mins
- In a bowl, add chickpeas flour, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and add water and mix it well! It should be idli batter consistency.
- Now grease the plate of steamer by oil.
- Now add fruit salt and 1 tbsp water in it and mix well and pour a bit into plate to make first thin layer and cook for 5 mins.
- Once cooked spread green chutney in it and again pour second thin batter layer on it and again cook for 5 mins.
- Then spread dates chutney on it and pour third layer of batter on it and sprinkle red chilli powder in it and cook for 8 to 10 mins.
- Once cooked remove it from heat and allow it to be at room temperature.
- Now add oil in frying pan, temper mustered seeds, add curry leaves, green chillies and water and spread this on dhokla.
- Cut the dhokla and serve it with green and dates chutney!