I always wonder to present the dish in such a way that kids would love and healthy as well. Kids hates traditional stuff, so presentation always needs to be something extra ordinary and eye catching! Here I am representing simple mini idlis in tikka form in ice-cream bowls pouring them with sambhar!
Preparation time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 packet, MTR instant rice idli mix
- 1 cup curd
- Water as required for idli batter consistency
TO TEMPER IDLI:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustered seeds
- salt to taste (as per the taste of idli)
- 1/3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp sambhar powder
- 1 cup capsicum, cubed
- 1 cup yellow bell peppers, cubed
- 1 cup red bell peppers, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil to saute veggies
- 2 cup toor daal, washed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp sambhar powder
- 1/2 cup boiled and finely chopped bottle gourd
- 1 boiled drumstick, cut into medium pieces
- 1 big tomato, finely chopped
TO TEMPER SAMBHAR:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustered seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 kashmiri mirch
- Red and white coconut chuteny
- Few Skewers to male idli tikkas
To Make Idli:
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 packet of MTR instant rice idli mix, curd and 1/4 glass of water and mix well.
- Add more water to get smooth consistency of batter.
- Set aside for 8-10 mins.
- Grease a plate and pour the batter into mini idli plate and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove them and keep aside.
To Make Sambhar:
- Put the toor daal into pressure cooker with tomatoes and 1 glass of water and allow it to whistle 3 times.
- Remove from heat and grind it coarsely.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, sambhar powder and salt and mix it well.
- Add chopped bottle gourd and drumsticks and cook for 10- 15 mins.
- Temper the sambhar using ingredients of ‘TO TEMPER SAMBHAR’ and pour the sambhar into it.
- Keep it aside.
To Saute Veggies:
To Temper Idli:
- Temper the mini idlis using ingredients of ‘TO TEMPER IDLI’ and add the idlis and mix it well.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Thread a peice of red bell pepper then yellow bell pepper then green capsicum, then one mini idli, and again do same ordering for second idli.
- Pour sambhar in ice cream bowls
- Place the idli tikkas on the bowls and serve.