Samosa is a fried or baked dish with a savoury filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas or minced meat. But here to make it Jain, I am using raw bananas instead of potatoes. Samosa Pinwheels is a slight alternation to the traditional Samosa and is as delicious as the traditional samosas and yet they are quite easy than the samosa as the outer cover making is not hard as samosas. The stuffing looks like pinwheel and also the each pinwheel is bite size and hence the name. Samosa Pinwheels are a rich party appetizer and snack too!
Preparation time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins
SAMOSA PASTRY DOUGH:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Water to make dough
- 1 medium-sized raw banana, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1 tbsp green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Oil to deep fry
- In mixing bowl, add all the ingredients of dough, mix and knead it well to make a soft dough. Keep aside for 10 mins until you make stuffing.
- In another mixing bowl, add all the ingredients of STUFFING and mix it well. Keep aside.
- After 10 mins, take out the dough and knead it for couple of minutes.
- Make 2 equal sized portions out of the dough. Dust one portion of dough in flour and roll it to slightly thicker chapati using rolling pin.
- Cut the edges of circle to make a pastry sheet.
- Make 2 portions of the filling also. Take one portion of filling and spread it nicely in the rolled pastry sheet.
- Now roll the pastry sheet with the filling and cut it into pieces as shown in the picture.
- Take each chopped samosa pinwheels and press the open side gently to make it like a round shape so that the inner filling looks like a pinwheel.
- Now, rub the pinwheels into sesame seeds as shown in below picture and keep aside.
Using Microwave Grilling Method:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (or the temperature that is recommended on the puff pastry box).
- Place the pinwheels onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 17-20 minutes until golden brown.
Using Deep Frying Method:
- Deep fry them into hot oil until they become crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them from heat and put into tissue paper.
Serve warm as a appetizer or party snacks and use within two weeks!