Lapsi is a very appealing sweet dish of roasted and cooked broken wheat sweetened with sugar and flavoured pleasantly with cardamom powder. Roasting the broken wheat in ghee gives the Lapsi a rich brown colour, intense aroma and nice flavour. Although it is a traditional recipe, it has a timeless appeal and is much-loved by both adults and children.
Preparation time: 0 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins
4 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup broken wheat
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup mixed dry fruits to garnish
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai, add the broken wheat, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 mins till it turns golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add 2 cups of warm water, mix well and cook on a high flame till the water starts boiling.
- Cook on a slow flame for 15 mins till the broken wheat is almost done, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 mins till the ghee separates, while stirring continuously.
- Garnish it with dry fruits and serve hot!