Cucumber tossed in a tangy yellow mustard flavoured spice blend. This pickle is often served as a variant to a salad in several Gujarati homes. Several instant and traditional pickles are laid out at the time of lunch or dinner for the diner to take his pick. No Gujarati meal is ever complete without pickles. This pickle does not last for many days, but it is not supposed to as it is meant to be consumed with the meal so that a whole new range of pickles can be prepared for the next meal.
Preparation time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 0 mins
- 1/2 cup cucumber, roughly chopped
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp split mustard seeds (rai na kuria)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp mustard (rai / sarson) oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine the cucumber, carrots, green chillies, lemon juice and salt and mix well. Leave aside for 15 minutes. Discard the water from the it.
- Add the split mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and mustard oil and mix well.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated for upto 4 days.